8.3.09

Collegiate Cross!

It was windy, it was overcast, it was perhaps the greatest assembled field of Collegiate B riders the world had ever seen. Yet none of these would define the race. Only the gravel, and the puncture resistance of your tires would matter. 20 souls would start the race. 12 would finish. How would our hero Jacob fare??

Knowing that the gravel would define the race, Jacob was sure to position himself well into the first curve. But he didn’t know the grass shortcut, and he lost all his positioning in the curve. The field was being shredded by the quick pace and the razor-like gravel. With cyclists falling all around him, Jacob had some ground to make up…



Jacob: Stuart O’Grady?? What are you doing here?
Stuart: I’m racing Cs. I only race on gravel.
Jacob: Cs, don’t you think that’s overkill?
Stuart: I’m recovering from Rouge Roubaix this morning. Though apparently I have dropped them all and caught up to the Bs.
Jacob: Is it legal that you’re sticking to my wheel?
Stuart: No, no it’s not. You’re just going so fast though…

Jacob: It’s over!
Stuart: See, that was fast. Well done, you’ve just about caught them. I must be leaving you now, winning the Cs will be a great addition to my palmares.
Jacob: So long Stuey.

What was once 20 riders is now 7; Jacob, two UT riders, two A&M riders, an MSU rider, and Jacob’s good friend from the Dirt Derby, Lars Boom.


Lars: I thought I’d never see you again.
Jacob: All that slipping and sliding brought back my good ‘ol cross days, I had a hell of a job putting time into you all on the gravel.
Lars: It’s easier on a cross bike, and we really slowed down turning off the pavement and hitting that crosswind.
Jacob: Don’t take this from me Lars.
Lars: I’d take it easy from now on, trust me, I’m a former cyclocross world champion.

And take it easy he did. But it was not long before the gravel returned.


Jacob: Curses! My tire!
Lars: I’ll block for you, don’t worry.

After a rapid tire change, and that curious clothing change, Jacob was back on the bike, soon to be joined by the now vicotorious Stuart O'Grady


Jacob: You’re lapping me? Isn’t your race over then?
Stuart: I’m cooling down.
Jacob: Want to work with me to get back up to the leaders?
Stuart: It’s against the rules Jacob, I’m going to go cool down.



And so he solo’d, slowly gaining on the lead group. Meanwhile, the chase group was drawing up from behind. Soon they were all together.

Jacob: I thought I’d never see you again, thanks for blocking Lars.
Lars: Huh? I didn’t do anything.
Jacob: So it was all me, bridging back up like that??
Lars: No, your teammates blocked for you.
Jacob: Ugh, back on the gravel. You’re such a killjoy today Lars.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the low picture quality, I'm still getting used to working within the blogger confines.

    ReplyDelete