19.6.09

Ride 1: Old Mamalahoa

Route Map

My ride started out being dropped up about 1500 feet up Highway 19. There was still a fair amount of climbing to do after that, but it was all at a low grade. There’s a small shoulder and the road is fairly heavily trafficked. Highway 19 after Wailua wasn’t much to ride on either; there was a small shoulder and it was also highly trafficked.



After the turn onto Old Mamalahoa however, cars were an afterthought. At the start, Old Mamalahoa was sheltered on one side by thick trees and open on the other side. Soon these trees go away and it’s all pastureland.



It was hazy when I rode and the temperature here was a good 15 degrees cooler than closer to the coast, and a lot nicer to look at.



This section had small rollers which weren't challenging.



After the pastureland, there was a lengthy downhill. It was a fun and windy descent, but not too technical. It got me going fast enough to where I didn't need to worry about cars passing me. Then it was into Honokaa, where I refilled on fluids and got a bite to eat. The shore was visible coming into the town and I was tempted to try and go find it. The result ended in me walking my bike uphill…



It doesn't look that steep, but it's very hard going closer to the top. Going back up the Old Mamalahoa climb was enjoyable.



The climb gains about 1200 feet in almost 4 miles. It's a steady climb, and I was able to keep up a pretty good pace up it that wasn’t exhausting.



Coming back through the rolling section was still nice, and had very little wind.



I came out onto Highway 19 and followed that all the way to Waikaloa.
The shoulder on 19 opens up when it flattens out, but given that it was 15 degrees warmer than where I was before, sunny, and unscenic, it wasn’t too much fun to ride on.

Ride 2: Kohala Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment