19.6.09

Other possible rides

There was more cycling to do in Hawai'i than my legs were capable of, and here's my take on some other roads on the Big Island which I had considered cycling.

In the Puna Coast:
137/Kapoho Kalahana Road is a nice road along the coast which offers some excellent views and transitions easily from exposed lava flows, to heavily forested areas, to nice views of the beach. There isn't much traffic on the road. Pohoiki Road is nearby and is also nice, but more heavily trafficked and starts out quite narrow. Cycling up 130 looks miserable - there's a bunch of pavement, it was steep, and there really wasn't much to see.

Volcanoes:
Mauna Loa lookout. Thought about doing this ride, but took a nap instead. As sore as I was then, I don't regret it, but it's a nice road up to an alright lookout.



It's about a 2500 foot climb and has some nice hard sections. It is a one-lane road, but there wasn't much traffic when we drove to the top.

Kona:
Ali'i Drive. I wouldn't want to bike this road at all. It's high traffic, small shoulder, and a large amount of runners and pedestrians going the other way on the shoulder. I would perhaps consider it though if I were a female in a bikini on a cruiser bike, or had a surfboard rigged to my bike (also a cruiser bike).

Cycling the Big Island Index

No comments:

Post a Comment